To contact us, please select a method below:
or telephone: +353 21 490 4530
- Enquires to particular members of staff: see the contact details on the staff pages.
Department of Music
University College Cork
[Note: the Republic of Ireland does not yet use Zip codes or postcodes for the Cork area.]
UCC’s Department of Music is housed in the Music Building on Sunday’s Well Road, adjacent to St Vincent’s Church. Sunday’s Well Road is situated along the north side of the River Lee, on the west side of Cork city:
The Music Building
The building, purchased by UCC in 1999, was formerly St Vincent’s monastery. Originally designed by its architect George Goldie as a retreat house, it was built in 1873 as a physical attachment to the west side of St Vincent’s Church. Following extensive refurbishment, the Music Building became the home of the Department of Music, UCC, in May 2000 and was formally opened in the following November.
The building is a remarkably successful use of a difficult site. The southern aisle of the church (1851) is prolonged into a residential range, three floors high, that turns a right angle before abruptly terminating at the street, making up two sides of a piazza in front of the church. A floor below the level of the piazza a vaulted hall opens directly on to a garden terrace to the south. Above, a pivotal corner turret is corbelled out on a stunted column. Similar stunted columns hold up the arches that divide the flights of the principal staircase.
Jeremy Williams, A Companion Guide to Architecture in Ireland, 1837-1921
(Irish Academic Press, Dublin, 1994).